I have been doing really well with my zero waste mission and bringing very little plastic home from shopping trips:
- I have found toilet paper wrapped in paper.
- All my dry goods are bought from a bulk store using my own containers.
- Meat and fish go straight into my own containers.
- Soap bought loose from Ecostore.
- Bread bought from a bakers and put in my canvas bag. I also make my own a few times a week.
- Sushi goes straight into my own container.
- Bamboo toothbrushes – see photo.
- Dish-brush – see photo.
- All cleaning and washing products from the same store as the bulk store, where I take my own glass jars as containers.
But a few things have eluded me -so far.
- Soy sauce is in a glass bottle but has a plastic lid.
- Cheese – I must look for a delicatessen where they sell it from big wheels and they cut it for you.
- Milk – I have found a farmer who sells direct to the public but he is fairly far away and we go through quite a bit.
- Yogurt – this has me stumped.
- Toothpaste – still working on this.
- Shampoo and conditioner – I have found environmentally friendly products at the Ecostore here in New Zealand which I am using (see photo). The bottles are completely recyclable. But, when I run out, I will buy a shampoo bar and a conditioner bar from lush – no plastic involved.